Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Education Inequality

Did you know that only 8% of kids who grow up in a low income community actually graduate college by the age 24. Yes, you heard that correctly.. ONLY 8%. This statistic blows my mind  and really bothers me.

It bothers me to know that some children cannot concentrate in class because they don't know when their next meal will be and their stomach's ache. It bothers me that some students are given textbooks that are holding on to their last thread and are bound to break with a gust of wind; meanwhile, other students are given laptops and Ipads. It bothers me that their is such a tremendous education gap. It bothers me that some students feel worthless and do not realize their potential or  purpose. Most of all, it bothers me that some children do not see the importance of a good quality education.

I want to be a role model to my students and motivates them to reach their highest goals. I want my students to see that they have the upmost potential and power to be great leaders, even though they may not believe so. I want to educate and inspire them to always do their best. I want to be a teacher that makes a difference and my students will remember.

1 comment:

  1. All data like that bothers me. I work at a school in which 75 percent of the students qualify for free and reduced lunch. We serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day for those students. Our students need someone who is passionate about their work and brings their best everyday. I am glad you are committed! I have a great book that I will bring to you. I can't remember the title now, but it is by Jensen and it is about combating the effects of poverty on the mind. The big question I have based on your data is what supports are in place for those students in college?

    ReplyDelete