Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Digitial Writing Workshop

I knew from the beginning that I wanted to read this book. Technology is constantly growing and I think it is great to implement it in the classroom to teach. Throughout the semester I have learned a lot of fascinating tools that I definitely plan on using in the future such as Wordle, Padlet, wordpress and etc. However, this book opened up my eyes and revealed many more uses of digital technology and the importance and benefits it serves.

One section that the book focused on was blogging. I believe blogging is a great new writing notebook  and can be very benficial to keep an online collection of student writing and work. It is also a great and convenient way to get quick feedback from other classmates or teachers on your work. The book also went into detail on wikis and collaborative word processors and the pros and cons they each serve.

Other useful things discussed are photo essays with websites such as PhotoVoice, Podcast, video productions, digital portfolios, class anthologies, audio anthologies. One group discussion we had was on audio anthologies, as opposed to written anthologies. I have never thought of this until reading the book and it was definitely an AHA moment. I think it would be great to try an audio anthology in the future. Audio Anthologies allow students to literally share their voices. Traditionally, Hick states in the book "the process of writing a piece with the intention of recording it can change a writers perspective on how to punctuate, emphasize and otherwise engage the listener in ways that seeing his words on paper alone cannot." This really resonated with me and I really believe that listening to a p piece of work could make a big difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment